Date: February 22, 2017
Agency: North Dakota Joint Information Center
Contact: Morton County Public Information Office; 701-595-3596 or 701-426-1587
Bismarck, N.D. – Gov. Doug Burgum’s emergency evacuation order required protesters to vacate the main camp today at 2:00 p.m. This is a recap of the day’s events:
- Throughout the day, protestors set structures and a vehicle on fire.
- Protesters set approximately 20 fires.
- At least two explosions occurred. One resulted in a 7-year-old boy and a 17 year-old girl being taken by Standing Rock ambulance to a Bismarck hospital for burns.
- Buses were available for protesters who wanted to voluntarily leave and be taken to a state-sponsored Travel Assistance Center to receive resources to leave the area. Four individuals were taken to the Travel Assistance Center.
- The state will offer these Travel Assistance Center services through Thursday, Feb. 23, at 5:00 p.m.
- Approximately 10 arrests were made.